Max’s Deli & Bakery was founded in 1949 by Max Prosterman. Max’s friend, Dave Shafran, then took over the operation of the store (then located in a much smaller premise across the street from its present location on Oak St) until approximately 1975. Dave Shafran then turned the store over to his son, Zevie, who then moved Max’s to its present location and operated it until 1981. Moving Forward with New Vision Bruce Redpath became the new owner Max’s in the early 80’s and operated it until 2011, when a former employee, who had given over a decade of her time to Max’s Deli, was able to join with family members and acquire the business, which is flourishing to the point where Max’s is now the busiest store of its type in Western Canada. What makes Max’s Deli so popular? People travel long distances to shop here. Max’s has been named “VANCOUVER’S BEST DELI” on several occasions. Max’s is considered an ” institution” in the community providing the highest quality food and knowledgeable guest oriented team members.